Consistent with Awards Committee’s objective to enhance the professional development of the research administration community within Region VI, financial support is provided in the form of travel awards to promising newcomers to NCURA. These travel awards are meant to offset the cost of attendance at an NCURA Meeting or Conference, and is intended to assist with registration, hotel, meal, and/or transportation costs associated with meeting attendance.
- Applicants must be research administrators from within the Region VI geographic area (Alaska, California, Guam, Hawaii, Nevada, Northern Marianas Islands, Oregon, Samoa, and Washington). Applicants need not be current members of NCURA in order to apply for or to be awarded a Region VI Travel Award.
- Applicants must not have previously attended an NCURA-sponsored meeting or conference. Participation in NCURA training courses (e.g. Fundamentals of Sponsored Projects Administration Workshop) or NCURA web seminars does not preclude eligibility.
- Applications and support letters must demonstrate both the potential benefit of the award and the individual/institutional need for travel assistance.
- The application and/or the support letter(s) must demonstrate that the applicant has secured their manager or supervisor's approval to attend the meeting.
- Should the cost of attendance exceed the amount of the award, the application and/or the support letter(s) must confirm that the awardee or the awardee’s home institution will cover the balance.
How to Apply:
A Call for Applications for the subject NCURA Meeting or Conference will be released to the NCURA community, with enough advance time to allow the applicants to both apply for and receive notice of selection or non-selection of award well in advance of registration deadlines. Interested members of the research administration should check the Announcements page of the Region VI website for new Calls for Applications (at https://ncuraregionvi.org/announce.aspx). Each Call for Applications is also sent out on the Region VI Listserv, which is accessible to all current NCURA Region VI members.
The individual applying for the Travel Award is expected to complete and submit the application form. The application must be accompanied by at least one letter of support and the applicant’s résumé. The letter of support must be provided by someone at the nominee's institution, ideally a supervisor or someone who can authorize meeting attendance. The letter(s) of support and résumé should be uploaded into the online application form prior to its submission.
Selection of the awardees will be determined by the Region VI Awards Committee. The Committee's decisions will be final. Selection criteria used by the Committee include:
- Benefit to applicant of attendance (specific educational/training/professional development needs of applicant that can be met through attendance at meeting)
- Candidate's contribution to his/her organization, and ability to add value to organization if able to attend the meeting.
- Relevant experience of the candidate
- Strength and applicability of support letter(s). (Please note that specificity to the applicant is encouraged, and template support letters are discouraged.)
- Reasons why the applicant's institution could not support the applicant's attendance at the meeting in the absence of a travel award.
Return to Awards Page